Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Parallel universe?

I've now heard Bach's Brandenburg Concerto No. 2 three times in the past day on three different radio stations. It's one of my favourite pieces, but still, what's going on here?

Been busy lately, moving into a new house. It's very exciting to graduate from an apartment to a house, but there is a lot of work ahead. At least the place was move-in condition.

What I've been listening to: Joanna Newsome, Ys. She sings like she's from outerspace (if Billie Holiday, Bjork, Tori, a five year old, and a bad children's folksinger got together, the result might sound something like this), and can make your ears bleed if you listen too much, but her rambling, lyrical songs are remarkable. The arrangements for strings and harp are just gorgeous and once you get over the initial repulsion at her voice this album gets inside you.

What I've been reading: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Okay, who's not reading this? It was enjoyable though. Interesting article in the Wall Street Journal about how HP is an interesting literary phenomenon because the movies have been introduced at the same time as the books.

What I've been watching: Man vs. Wild on the Discovery Channel. I'm sure this guy must get some help from the crew, but it's still cool to see him hunt fish with his hands and bite into them raw and jump off 50 foot cliffs. If we dropped him off in North Philadelphia at 2 am, would that count as a survival situation?

1 Comments:

At 4:26 PM, Blogger mrpaul said...

Gee, I haven't been to North Philadelphia since my days as a Central High School student (back when it was boys only). And I was never there after dark. After school was over, I always grabbed the bus or subway and headed back to the Great Northeast.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home